Design

It's a cold and rainy Thursday here in Spokane.  I drove into town early this morning from the lake to get ready for work, I did not want to get out of bed.  On cold rainy days I tend to want to stay in bed a little longer, spend the day in comfy clothes and drink coffee or tea and knit.  That is all I craved as the rain gently sprinkled on my my windshield as I drove.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.  I love the rain, I love the smell of it.  It's fresh and clean and satisfying.  I crave to be out in it on warm summer nights - especially if there is a thunderstorm.  My kids will tell you that if there is one, I will be the first one on the deck to watch as the sky puts on a show.

I have found that throughout my life, one thing is constant - I crave to be out in the middle of nature, soaking up its beauty.  And when I'm not, I'm always thinking about it and pulling it into my knitwear designs, the colorways I dye up for my small Indy yarn company, the way I decorate my house.  It's a part of the best part of me.

I've been working on a new design for about 6 months now.   It's a chart that uses 4 colors, and my plan is to make it into a sweater.  It will officially be my very first color work design, and I am so scared and so excited all at the same time. I charted it out and just this morning sketched it out - I am thrilled with the results, and now am itching to get going on it.  Normally I would race home after work and dye up the colors I want to use for it - but because we have one more night out at the lake - I will be printing out a million of these sketches and playing with my water colors tonight as I try and figure out the perfect color combination.

In my head I see an Oatmeal color that is the main part of the sweater, and then pops of a slate, charcoal and Pale Ice blue.... or a cranberry, pale pink and olive green... the options are endless.

So what will your creative plans for the day be.  I would love to know.  Do you set time aside each week to design, or create? 

Until next time

XO
S.




Comments

Popular Posts